Winner of the 29th International AGROFILM Festival!
Announcing another amazing teaching video
from Professors Verreet and Klink!
Late blight caused by the oomycete Phytophthora infestans is the most serious disease of potato crops worldwide. As a major culprit of the Irish potato famine in the mid-nineteenth century, late blight has had a tremendous effect on human history. Elucidation of the life cycle of P. infestans by German botanist Anton de Bary is claimed as a founding moment of modern plant pathology.
Using computer animations blended with real-life video and time-lapse photography, this teaching video impressively illustrates the life cycle of P. infestans. Your students and extension audiences will gain a clear understanding of the development and epidemiological spread of this fungus-like pathogen and the nature of the devastating disease it causes.
NEW PowerPoint 2010 Feature: Video Trim
Now full length videos can be trimmed for use in PowerPoint presentations. Trim this video to highlight specific stages of Potato Late Blight for classroom demonstrations, or use the full video to build an entire lecture.
All stages of the disease cycle are explained in detail:
- Infected tubers as a source of inoculum
- Transmission of mycelium to seedling
- Formation of sporangiophores on leaves
- Detachment and spread of sporangia
- Direct and indirect germination
- Zoospore production and release
- Zoospore locomotion and encystment
- Leaf infection and mycelial growth
- Secondary sporulation and spread of disease
- Infection of tubers
- A1 and A2 (opposite) mating types
- Formation of male and female gametangia
- Penetration of antheridium by oogonial initial
- Expansion of oogonium
- Meiosis and fertilization
- Formation of thick-walled oospore
- Dormancy period in soil
- Germination of activated oospore
- Release of zoospores
Potato Late Blight-The disease cycle of Phytophthora Video DVD-ROM
This DVD is protected by copyright and its use is limited. It may be shown to, or viewed by, groups within a classroom or educational presentation setting, but may not be made available via local area network (LAN) without permission. It may not be copied, or otherwise duplicated to share with other individuals in full or in part. It may not be transferred to the Internet in full or in part.
Publish Date: 2013
Format: DVD-ROM compatible with PC and Mac; Contains four video files representing different compression formats for use on both PC and MAC
Publication Weight: 1 lbs
By Professor Dr. Joseph-Alexander Verreet and Dr. Holger Klink
List Price:209.00Potato Late Blight-The disease cycle of Phytophthora Video DVD-ROM